I tried to install French language to an IP Telephony deployment based on CME and the latest 7800 IP phone Series. I have searched on Google for the .jar file needed by these IP phones in order to be localized but have not find any clear information.
So I have turned on the “hard way” mode in order to find that information.
The first thing I’ve done is to enable the TFTP debug through “debug tftp events” on the CME. Generally speaking this command is a good troubleshooting tool, for example to double check that the IP phone is actually reaching the TFTP server and correctly downloading its files.
(I assume here that you already configured the locale commands on voice register global)
Here is the output :
The interesting line in the debug is :
TFTP: Looking for SIP_French_France/sp-sip.jar
The IP phone looks for the file sp-sip.jar and not less importantly under the folder SIP_French_France.
So I uploaded the file to flash: and then published it on the tftp server through these commands :
Router(config)# tftp-server flash:sp-sip.jar alias SIP_French_France/sp-sip.jar
It’s important to publish the file on the correct folder which is similar to the syntax “SIP_language_country“.
Afterwards the 7821/7841/7861 IP phones correctly downloads the locale file and hopefully reset and start using the target language.
The locale files are available through Cisco under this link (CCO account needed)
Yes the file is very heavy. Because it contains files for all languages, and just need to pick up the file for the language you need. All this for a 34kb file!